Tuesday 3 May 2011

Rule Britannia! Britannia, Rule the (Air)Waves


Every now and then along comes an event which divides the world. You know the events - the ones you cant even miss if you blink, not even if you blink constantly for days, weeks on end. On Friday 29th April 2011 the World's eyes were on England for the Royal Wedding of our Prince William to his Kate. From here on the world would forever be divided into those who watched and those who did not.

I am not one to get excited by Hello! magazine wedding spreads. I am not a Royalist. I don't even 'do' marriage. And I was determined to be 'on the other side of the divide' of the Royal Wedding hysteria which bombarded the lives of English citizens in the weeks and months (felt like years) running up to the main event.

However, despite my blind protestations that I would not be watching the Royal Wedding, I watched the Royal Wedding. And, if I tell you a dirty secret would you keep it for me?.... I loved it! To my shock (and horror) I sat in front of my TV unabashedly owning a soppy grin throughout the whole ceremony. And it left me thinking... why?

It was certainly not the pomp and circumstance of the ceremony, all things grandiose do not impress me. It was not the dresses (is it a McQueen? will it be a Vivienne Westwood? I honestly did not, and still do not, care). It was definitely not the presence of our Queenie, 'Her Maj'. The reason for my Cheshire Cat grin, was that here, despite all odds, was a couple who looked truly in love. I know the nervous smirk which appeared on Prince William's face when he saw Kate, I have seen it before. It was unmistakeably the same incredibly proud look I saw on my own brother's face when he married his wife. It is the look of the (pedigree) cat that got the (Tesco's Finest) cream.

I believe 'my generation' can identify with the young generation of royals (despite their ridiculous titles, fancy clothes and the Queen being their Grannie). They are just like us: they party, they dance to Nelly Furtado's 'Man Eater' at concerts and they, very occasionally, make poor fancy dress choices which offend the nation (who hasn't).

I was, however, disappointed with HRH ER II constantly trying to upstage the bride (even I, with my limited wedding etiquette know that upstaging the bride is a wedding no-no). Her carriage was grander and had more horses, trumpets heralded her leaving Buckingham Palace (or were they celebrating her leaving?) and her arrival at Westminster Abbey, and all the guests, including the Bride and Groom, had to sing the National Anthem to her! Couldn't she just say: "You know what? I'll let you have this one Kate".

Anyhow, attention-grabbing Queenies aside, I am reformed. 2012 sees Her Maj's Diamond Jubilee (and another Bank Holiday) and I am already working on convincing Prince Harry that he wants to marry Chelsea in 2013. I am really liking the possibility of a rolling programme of additional (royal related) Bank Holidays, and, if truth be told, I loved the Royal Wedding and will watch the next one!

Although, if asked, I will deny I ever said that!....

No comments:

Post a Comment